Tuesday, July 03, 2007

"In an ocean of noise, I first heard your voice"

Thank you Bazz.
Thank you Cody.


Now then, here I am facing another day of full time paid employment with out actually having to go anywhere or do anything.
I'm getting really fed up with it all now. I'm really suffering from a lack of interaction with the outside world.
It's driving me cuckoo.

It's also leaves me with nothing to say about the goings on in my life because, quite frankly, there are none.

So today it's all about what has been helping me through these empty days.
Firstly; Tunes.
I am currently in the process of acquiring my 14th & 15th albums of the year(Interpol's "Our love to admire" & "Twilight of the innocents" by Ash).
The other 13?
I'll file them under four categories, the first being;
Oh what have you gone & done that for you bloody great Norberts?

In truth I have only been disappointed by one album so far this year. It was something of a shock to find that Nine Inch Nails had a new album out only 2 years after the rather ace "With Teeth".
Now it has become glaringly apparent why there is usually 5 years or so between albums. "Year Zero" is simply not very good. "Capitol G" & "The beginning of the end" are pretty damn fine but the rest of it is mostly plop. What a shame.

Like McDonald's in that it's OK once in a while but you wouldn't want it every day

The Good, the Bad & the Queen- The Good, The Bad & The Queen
Yours Truly, Angry Mob - Kaiser Chiefs
Only the names have been changed - Kelly Jones
Cassadaga - Bright Eyes
The Boy with No Name - Travis*
An End has a Start - Editors**

*Much better than could have been hoped for
**This may possibly get upgraded upon further listenage, but I reckon it's unlikely.

Blimey, that's a bloody good album that will enrich my life to a small extent

Because of the times - Kings of Leon
Now, I've never been much of a fan of Kings of Leon, primarily because of Caleb Followill's vocal yelpings, but I've had to listen to them a lot as they are Lucy's favourite band. Imagine my surprise to find this well crafted collection of fine songs with yelpy boy tyring his hand at actually singing. It's really proper good & I thoroughly enjoyed seeing them live in Blackpool back in April.

Icky Thump - White Stripes
Hurrah, having lost it on last album "Get behind me Satan", it appears that Jack 'n' Meg have found their mojo again. Thus making the world a better place.

Send away the Tigers - Manic Street Preachers
It seems the mojo rediscovery isn't limited just to Detroit's finest. The Manics, best album since "Everything must go"? Maybe (though I always liked "Know your enemy" myself).

Favourite Worst Nightmare - Arctic Monkeys
Funny one this, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it at all. It's bloody brilliant in fact. It just hasn't seemed to grab me by the throat & force itself upon me with the same relish as "Whatever...". Having said that, it's like saying the second time I made love to Kylie Minogue wasn't quite as much of a thrill as the first. (Which it wasn't, the sixth time however...)


How the chuff did I manage to live any kind of fulfilling life before I had this album?

Our Earthly Pleasures - Maximo Park
Bloody, bloody ace record!
Bloody, bloody ace band!
Bloody, bloody ace songs!
And "Our velocity" is far & away the best single released so far this year. That's true because I say so. So there.








Neon Bible - Arcade Fire

I have succumbed. I have been aware of Arcade Fire & all the surrounding hype for a while. I downloaded "Wake up" from their last album but was never really taken with it, so I pursued them no further. Then I saw the five star review in Q for "Neon Bible", they even had them on the cover proclaiming "You have to hear this album!"
I don't like being told what to do though, so I continued to abstain. Then about a month ago I reached a point where there were no new albums to feed me, so I relented.
What a silly boy I have been!
"Neon Bible" is simply wonderful. It's grand without being overblown, emotional without being sickly & it pulls off the trick of being dark & life-affirmingly light at the same time. A work of genius? I think it may be. And none of my days are complete now without the obligatory daily listen to the joyous wonderment that is "No cars go"
It bloody gives me goosebumps, it does.
Q were absolutely spot on; you have to hear this album.

Then there's what I've been watching, but that's a post for another day.


PS. I seem to be having trouble in opening some blogs. 4 in fact, so those 4 lovely ladies please don't think I'm snubbing you. As if!

15 Comments:

Blogger shorty said...

Is one of them me? I didn't have a comment today.

I'm getting blog envy!

Glad to see you posting again.

If you're bored you could tell us a story from your youth. I love those!

Missing you!

Hey if you're not working by August let me know I have a whole week with nothing to do and no where to go. Can I stay for free? Though traveling internationally seems a bit scary right now, doesn't it?

ooooo

6:52 AM  
Blogger shorty said...

Thank you for the belated Birthday wish.

I don't know why you can't get on it?

That sucks!

7:46 AM  
Blogger Hyde said...

Hi Flashy!

I never know the music you're talking about... one of these days you'll have to make me a cd.

love,
h

9:08 AM  
Blogger HistoryGeek said...

I've been very behind in my new music, so this is a good reminder.

I really hope that they figure things out with your job soon.

9:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not grabbed the new The Cribs album yet Flashy? It's a belter!
Produced by that Alex bloke from Franz Ferdinand an'orl.

They were reet champion t'other week in Leeds :)

PS If you've got Blogger's Block then it's time for some more Flashbacks from days of yore ;)

11:20 AM  
Blogger Cat said...

I'm with you on some of those, although I must confess to not having bought Bright Eyes yet - I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning is one of my all time favourite albums.

I love the new White Stripes album, and Maximo Park are definitely the best band I've seen live in ages.

But. I think I'm the only person in the whole world who doesn't rate Neon Bible. I thought Funeral was okay, but only okay.

What a heathen, eh?

12:31 PM  
Blogger Flash said...

Shorty - I'm afraid you are one of the 4 & you're welcome here in you come this way.

Hyde - I'l do that for you, no probs.

Spins - I think I owe you a CD too & your blog is refusing me entry!

DOJ - Sort t'cribs for us & I should be up in the next few days. I'l keep you posted.

Cat - I'm wide awake, it's morning is spectacular, which is why Cassadaga is a bit of a let down for me.
You bloody heathen!

1:00 PM  
Blogger swisslet said...

I'm with cat on Arcade fire.... I watched the first half of their set at Glastonbury, and they seemed great, but I wasn't too sorry to leave and head off to catch the Arctic Monkeys. I am determined to give them a proper listen though, and I've got a ticket to their gig in the Nottingham Arena in November. Watch this space.

Maximo Park however are brilliant. I love that album. Q gave it three stars, which tells you an awful lot about Q. "Our Velocity" is brilliant, but it's far from being the only great song on there. I love "Books In Boxes" myself, but it's all good.

Nice to have you up and blogging mate, even if you reckon there's nothing much to tell... for my money you could make nothing sound pretty good.

ST

2:44 PM  
Blogger weenie said...

I recently got Maximo Park's 'A Certain Trigger' which is great, so can't wait to get hold of 'Our Earthly Pleasures'.

Arctics - some great tunes but a couple of tracks which I don't think cut the mustard, hence imo, still much prefer their debut album. Still good overall though.

5:13 AM  
Blogger bedshaped said...

A split opinion on Arcade Fire?
I loved Funeral to bits, which makes it all the more frustrating when I find the new album so difficult to get into.
Maybe they've 'progressed' a little too much for my liking.

1:38 PM  
Blogger Mike Davis said...

Hey FLASH!!! - remember me? Adamant from 'What's Wrong With'?

Well anyway, just running through my old blogger links and glad to see you're still about, though not nearly as prolific a poster as I remember!

I'm thinking about blogging again but I'm afraid I'll use it to procrastinate, if I can be arsed.

Take care matey!

Mike

9:24 AM  
Blogger GJC said...

--> poke
--> poke
um, Flash?
whereyabeen??
I just re-found you, and then you suddenly got quiet again. Stop that, please. Write more. :)

Missed you, ya big lug! :::hugs:::

1:15 AM  
Blogger Chapstick said...

>=\

7:49 AM  
Blogger Chapstick said...

So, what's the protocol here, do we hold a memorial for Flash, since he seems to have joined the ranks of the dearly departed?

9:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

13/11/07
Wonder where he's got to?
I've mailed him a couple of times with no answer :(

2:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home